Dental crowns are one of the leading treatment options for restoring your dental function and appearance. During the dental crown procedure, a lab will custom make a tooth-shaped crown to fit over the affected tooth. This helps to protect it from further damage. A quick consult with your Buffalo Grove, IL dentist can confirm if you are a good candidate for dental crowns.
What issues does a dental crown fix?
Crowns are custom restorations that help to restore the function, appearance, and strength of teeth that have become damaged. They can be used to treat a broad range of issues, so most people are good candidates for this treatment option. If you have one or more of the following issues, you may be a good candidate.
· Fractured, broken, or cracked teeth. Once a tooth is cracked or broken, it cannot repair itself. If left untreated, it can cause major dental problems and oral health issues. Dental crowns are custom-made to fit on broken or cracked teeth to protect them and to restore its appearance and biting ability.
· Large dental fillings. A crown can help protect a tooth that has a large filling. Large fillings can leave a tooth weak and vulnerable to breaking. The crown restores the wall’s strength and protects the tooth from further damage.
· Tooth decay. Dental crowns may be used to restore a tooth that has been damaged by decay, particularly in cases where decay is severe.
· Missing teeth. Crowns are often used with dental implants to replace one or more missing teeth.
· Address cosmetic issues. Crowns are custom-made to a specific appearance including size and shape. They can be placed over teeth to address some cosmetic issues.
· Root canals. When the nerve tissue and pulp inside a tooth becomes infected, a root canal is often performed. A crown may be placed over the tooth after a root canal to help store its strength and function.
What makes someone a good candidate for a dental crown?
Patients of Dr. McCune who are considered to be a good candidate for dental crowns are usually dealing with one of these issues:
· Broken, cracked, or fractured tooth (or teeth)
· Large fillings
· Severe tooth decay
· Missing tooth
· Tooth extraction
· Undersized teeth
· Badly eroded teeth
In addition to having one of these dental problems, you will need to have overall good oral health. You shouldn’t be in immediate need of treatment for problems like periodontal disease or cavities.
What makes someone a good candidate for a dental bridge?
Good candidates for a dental bridge usually have one or more missing teeth. They may have fallen out, been knocked out, or extracted. The area where the teeth are missing needs two healthy teeth on either side of the gap. They should also have good dental health and no dental work that needs to be completed before the bridge is placed.
How is the dental crown procedure performed?
When you visit Creekside Dental office, Dr. McCune will examine your teeth to determine if you are a good candidate for dental crowns. If you are, then you will need two appointments for the dental crown procedure. First, the tooth receiving the crown will be cleaned and impressions made. You will be given a temporary crown for the tooth while the permanent one is being constructed. Once the permanent crown is ready, you’ll return to the office in Buffalo Grove to have it permanently bonded to the tooth.
How long do dental crowns last?
Dental crowns last between five and 15 years on average. However, they can last as long as 25 years if they are cared for properly. Their lifespan depends largely on the type of material they are made from. But wear and tear also play a huge role in their longevity. To maximize the life of your dental crown, use these preventative measures:
· Avoid eating sticky or hard foods that can damage the crown.
· Use a mouthguard for rigorous activities and for sleeping if you tend to grind your teeth in your sleep.
· Practice good oral hygiene daily to prevent decay and gum disease.
Schedule Your Appointment
Dental damage can be harmful to your oral health as well as affect your smile and appearance. Dental crowns help repair damage and improve your smile. Call us today to schedule an appointment to discuss dental crown treatment with Dr. McCune.